I am about the pain AFTER the surgery. THIS IS ABOUT BEING SICK, if that bothers you, please don't read. OK, I haven't written about what happened to me so here goes. While staying at my sis's house in CB (Council Bluffs), she became ill and we weren't real sure how she got it. The only thing we thought of was the self-serve soda fountain she used when we were out and about. I used the same soda fountain, however, I only got ice in my glass.

Anyway, since my sister was ill and I catch things so easy, I called Steve to come and get me. That was on a Saturday afternoon. I slept most of the way home then went to bed. The next day, Sunday, I seemed fine in the am but around 5 pm, I spent a lot of time in the bathroom (if you get my drift). By 9 pm, I started vomiting and kept on until 2 am when I asked Steve to call an ambulance.

The pain in my upper stomach (gallbladder) was pretty severe. I couldn't even keep water down, everything came up, even when my stomach was empty, it continued. They took xrays because I couldn't keep anything down (strawberry drink?) to get a scan taken. After having blood drawn, I found out my white count (?) was 18,000 when average is 12,000. Besides being dehydrated, I was very low on potassium.

They added a bag of potassium to my iv and she they started it, she left the room. Not even two minutes later my arm felt like it was on fire. Steve ran and got a nurse who stopped the potassium flow which stopped the pain. Man! They decided to try the other arm. Same thing happened. So they put some type of lidocain? in the IV and it calmed down.

Since I am having surgery tomorrow, I decided to finally talk about this. The doctor thinks that not only my gallbladder was acting up, but I must have been around a virus and picked it up. Like I said before, I'm not scared or nervous about the surgery. I love it that they tell you to count and then you are OUT, under, whatever you want to call it.

It's when you wake up in pain (more pain than I'm already in). Then you find out if it was a routine laproscopy or if they encountered something wrong and had to make a big incision and hurray, you're in the hospital for a 3 - 5 day visit.

Also, when you have a surgery scheduled, you wonder if you have enough insurance and think not only about copays and deductibles, but, also about life insurance rates, do I have enough coverage there, you know, just in case?

OK, I've admitted I'm scared, and I don't feel any better about it. My Pain Control doctor said they have someone in their office that had it done and he came back to work after 3 days! Also his friend, who is also a doctor that I know in Waukee, same result -- 3 days. I just hope mine goes that way, too. Hope to be back to my blog soon, I covet your prayers for the days ahead. Thanks.


Heather said...

Wait, one more thing. I love you and you'll sail through this with flying colors!

Heather said...

Ok mom, you don't just in case about life insurance rates in a blog post the day before you have surgery. Hello, want your children to worry even more about you??? I love you! Call me before you go if you can! Or have dad call me when it's over!

LisaDay said...

I hope you feel better soon. Stopping by from your daughter's blog.


Teresa @ ♥ TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ♥ said...

Hello! I was visiting your daughter's blog, The 24/7 Mom, and she said you were just starting to blog so I thought I pop in and say hi!

I'm sorry you are ill and that you are having to have surgery to remove your gallbladder. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

I am a 41 year old mother of 3 and grandmother of 2. I worked in the medical field for almost 20 years until I became seriously ill almost 3 years ago. Now I am homebound and bedridden from my illness, so now I am a blogger!

I wanted to let you know that I had my gallbladder removed in 2004 after having a very severe case of Salmonella Poisoning in 2003. I mean it was REALLY, REALLY bad! (Were you ever tested for Salmonella?? It is quite common for Salmonella to be found lurking on soda fountain machines AND the ice that comes from them.) My surgeon said that the Salmonella was most likely the culprit behind my Gallbladder becoming 'sick' and then not working.

I also wanted to say something about your fear of pain after the surgery. Pain after surgery is different for everyone. I had a good bit of pain, but it was not so much near the incision. It was mostly up near my left shoulder. You see, when they do surgery laparoscopically, the surgeon inflates your abdomen with air (carbon dioxide) in order to see more clearly. After the surgery, the air that is in your abdomen remains for a while and may cause a good bit of discomfort for 24-72 hours, or longer. The best thing to do in order to get rid of this 'air', and to heal more quickly, is to get moving as soon as possible. Take short walks in your home as soon as you feel up to it. Also, for the first few days, take your pain medication on schedule and don't wait until you are already in pain. It is MUCH harder to get rid of pain AFTER it has started than it is to control it by taking the meds EXACTLY as directed. I know this from my experience in working in the medical field but mostly from my experience in dealing with pain on a daily basis.

I know you are going to do just fine! Just remember not to beat yourself up if you aren't up and running around in just 3 days. My body took several weeks to get over the surgery. I was out of work for a couple of weeks and then on limited duty for a while after that. I was very, very sore. Some bounce back quickly, others don't. Just go at your own pace and don't push yourself.

I will check back here soon to see how you are doing. Please feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions or just want to chat.

In the meantime, you will be in my prayers.


Teresa <><


♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

Teresa @ ♥ TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ♥ said...

Hi, it's me again! I stopped back by to see if you had responded to any comments and now I feel SO bad. I JUST realized that TODAY (Thursday) is your surgery, not tomorrow. I got my dates mixed up (which I so often do) and thought this post was written today.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I am keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers. I hoping that things are going well.

I look forward hearing how you are doing. Maybe your daughter has something posted. I'll pop over there. Take care and keep looking up!


Teresa <><

♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

Halfmoon said...

I just want to thank all of you who have commented, it makes me feel great that people (other than my family) really care. I covet your prayers on June 23, surgery is rescheduled. My heart is in great shape, praise the Lord! Kathy